Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Change in Venue

Trevor started Nursing School yesterday (YahOoO!) and thus his prison sentence has begun. He's also working part time, and I'm still on-call 4 nights a week, which means we will be lucky to see each other at all during the week.

About a month ago Tara so graciously offered to watch the kiddos so that Trevor and I could spend some time alone together before our lives get crazy. It started out as long weekend to Vegas. Then, I was able to get more time off of work, and we thought about doing something a little fancier (Mexico, Hawaii, etc.). Airfare was so expensive so we went back to "Plan A" and decided to go for a little longer to trip to Vegas. Well, a few days before we were going to leave, Trevor out-of-the-blue said "What if we go up to Canada?". Just like that we changed plans and decided to drive up North. (We did contemplate taking the kids with us, but didn't know how they (or we) would do with two 16 hour car drives in one week. Everyone was very disappointed. I'm pretty sure they'd rather see the kids than us!) So off to Canada we went.


I didn't take very many pictures, and this one isn't the greatest with all of the shadows, but it will have to do! This is what we did almost every night for dinner. It was MUCH cooler up there which allowed us to eat outside without melting.


While we were there we had to have Trevor's mom's fried chicken. She grew up in the South and makes fabulous fried chicken (among other things). She was very patient in teaching me how to prepare the chicken, bread it, and fry it! (I even had to take the back-bone out of the chicken. Yuck!)


Here's our finished product! YUM! I'm drooling just looking at it! (Especially since I'm in the process of losing all of the weight I gained up there as well as the weight I gained while Trevor's sister was in town. Those Canadians sure know how to eat!)


Trevor and his Mom. It was so nice to spend time with his parents. In a way it was kind of refreshing not to have the kids with us because we were able to devote more time with his family. I missed them desperately though!!!



Trevor celebrated his 29th birthday with Black Forrest Cake (his favorite)! We had a lot of family and friends over to celebrate and had way too much good food! Trevor has such a great support system up there. Makes me sad we live so far away...



Trevor and Tom. Tom is Trevor's best friend from his pre-marrital days. They brought the foosball table outside and played like the good ole' times!
We had such a blast! Time went by too fast, although I missed my babies so much!!! Tara & Wes were such troopers watching them for so long! Tara recorded Jace while we were gone so we could see him. It's the sweetest little video and makes me realize how much he's growing up! I must have watched it 10 times when we were up there and teared up almost every time. If you didn't see her blog entry click here. We are so lucky to have such great family! Thank you SO much to Tara & Wes for loving and watching our kids. Thank you too to Trev's family for letting us come and bombard you with such a short notice!!!
Now....back to the reality of life....

4 comments:

Shelly said...

I'm glad that you guys had such a GREAT vacation. It sounds like you really needed it before you gear up for what you have a head of you!!

Ang said...

How nice that you two got to have some adult time, sounds like you had a wonderful time. Good luck Trevor!

P.S. The chicken looked to die for!

Kelly said...

Yeah for Canada! Looks like a fun get-away! They family still loves you even if you don't take your kids--but sometimes it feels like they are disappointed to see you! Hee! Hee!

Sarah said...

I'm glad that you were able to have some fun before life gets crazy for the two of you! I hope that nursing is going well for Trevor. Just remember, it is only two more years of this and then life will hopefully get back to normal.