Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Jace's First X-Ray

At church on Sunday I was sitting in class and recognized a sobbing little boy in the hall. I got up right away and Jace was in hysterics. His nursery leader was holding him and he was holding his hand up. I immediately saw his poor little finger. I guess he was trying to move his little folding chair over to the table for snack time and got his finger pinched in the hinges. The top layer of his skin was broken and it was already swelling and bruising pretty quickly. It broke my heart to see him in so much pain! We put ice on it, went home & got him some motrin and headed out to find an Urgent Care. Of course, the few that are by our house were closed. So we started calling around. I really didn't want to go through the ER because it takes forever and really, it didn't seem to be emergent. The only place open by our house that accepted our insurance didn't have an x-ray tech on site. *sigh*. By this time, Jace was back to laughing and joking. We decided to just take the kids home, let them nap, and see how he did. When he woke up you would have never thought there was anything wrong with him. He used his finger just fine and was bending it and everything. It was still swollen and the bruising was really starting to show. I finally got a hold of his pediatrician and he said he wanted an x-ray just to make sure.

The only way Jace would show me his finger is if I asked him how old he was. (He's really holding up three fingers, although it kind of looks like two).


Here's another shot. You can't really tell how bad it is, but it looked like a "way big owie", which is what Jace called it.

Here's Jace at the hospital after getting registered. Give him a couple suckers and he's as happy as can be!


Here he is getting ready for the x-ray.



Here's a cheesy grin of him afterwards. He got a cute little elephant and they gave us a copy of his x-rays.



Here's an x-ray of his whole hand, the middle finger is the one in question.
Verdict: No broken bones! I really didn't think it was, but better to be safe than sorry.

5 comments:

Shelbi Jean said...

Ouch! Poor boy- I guess that is what you get when you are trying to do someone a favor! I am glad it turned out okay... Have you guys checked Wee Care? they are open 24 hours a day, everyday. I use the one attached to Davis Hospital and I think they have one in Syracuse too.

The Hodsons said...

Wow, what a trooper!! I love that he's smiling in all of his pictures :)

Shelly said...

That looks PAINFUL!! Poor baby boy. You real lucked out, both times we've been in for x-rays we've been blessed with broken bones. Give him loves from us, he's a brave little boy!!

Amy said...

Poor little kid! I am so so sorry! I just hate when my kids are hurting...you just wanna take the pain away so bad for them. I am glad it all turned out well. Thanks for all your comments...you are a great friend!

Ang said...

Ouch! Even through the pain of it all that kid has the cheesiest smile, I love it!