Saturday, March 13, 2010

SIX Cavities!

We took Jace to the dentist a few weeks ago and found out he had SIX CAVITIES! Yikes! Especially considering we don't have dental insurance since Trevor's been laid off. Yeah, that hurts... They did half of them on his initial visit and finished the rest this week. Jace was very brave, unlike me, because I made Trevor take him both times. I get teary-eyed just thinking about it. Jace said that this time he had "a little cry and a big cry" but was happy to be done with the dentist for awhile. We're happy too.


Here are Jace's teeth. I kind of feel a little trashy with all that silver in his mouth, but why pay the extra money for white fillings when he's just going to lose these teeth in a couple of years. Trev said the dentist had to pretty much do the equivalent of a root canal where the silver cap is. Poor Jace. I hope he doesn't have bad teeth for his whole life. We've definitely stepped up on the oral care and he's a lot more willing to let us brush his teeth now that he has the threat of the dentist if he doesn't. I feel like a horrible mommy...like I could have been doing more to prevent this. Good things kids are so easy to forgive!

6 comments:

Amber Shellabarger said...

Oh that is so sad. When I was around 12 I had a lot of cavities too. More than Jace. I am scared to take Mirabel in because of her obsession with chocolate milk. He sounds brave though.

The Owen Family said...

Don't feel like a horrible mom at all. Trae has a silver tooth in that exact same spot and 4 cavities. I agree with the silver since it is WAY cheaper. I am actually fighting with the dental place since they told me they ONLY do white on posterior teeth and my insurance only covers up to a silver. WHY DID THEY NOT TELL ME THAT BEFORE I PAID 450 stinkin dollars, and that is only for half of them. We have always been pretty good about brushing teeth however not so good at flossing. We have stepped it up a notch in that department!
I am sorry to hear that Trevor has been layed off, that is definetly going around these days. Stay positive and good luck!

Lost in Jello said...

Chandler had a lot too but he would try to bite us when we brushed his teeth. :) I learned my lesson on him and Austyn had no cavities! Jace is so cute, what a brave boy.

Amy said...

Oh Tiff! That just sucks! I am dreading taking Addie in. I hope she doesn't have as bad of teeth as I do. But hey...at least you got them taken care of and thank goodness they get a whole other set! You are a great mama!

Shelly said...

He has the cutest little mouth! He is a brave little boy and a cute one too.

The Hodsons said...

Oh my goodness don't feel like a bad mom. Some people just have soft teeth. Maybe he'll grow out of that...also you can get flouride drops thru your pediatrician, but I really don't know how affective they are.