Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Pickled Eggs

If it sounds disgusting that's because it is! Not according to Trevor though! I don't know if this is some sort of Canadian delicacy or a Zezula Family Tradition or what, but Trevor and his family LOVE pickled eggs!



Here is Trevor with a pickled egg in one hand and the rest of the pickled eggs in another. You make them by putting peeled hard boiled eggs in with pickled beets and let them sit for a few days/week. It looks like the egg he's holding is an easter egg with the shell colored. Oh no, that's the actual peeled egg!


Here's some more eggs.



Here's the eggs sliced in half. Apparently if you let them pickle long enough, the yolks will start to turn pink too!



Here's Jace experimenting with the pickled egg.



I had the same reaction he did!



Brooklyn didn't mind them too much. But she'll eat just about anything you give her!
Now I'm a fan of pickled beets. Especially Trev's mom's homemade ones...but I think the whole pickled eggs is an acquired taste. (One in which I don't plan on acquiring!)

9 comments:

Ness said...

Definitely sounds like a Canadian delicacy. Gross!

Ang said...

I am just not a big egg fan no matter how they are made. I can only eat them if I make them because I get really grossed out wondering if they were stored properly! I am not like this with other food, go figure?

Shelly said...

Hmmmm.... I'm not a big fan of eggs or beets, so I'm not too sure about pickled eggs. I guess I'd be willing to try them, although after seeing the face Jace is pulling, I'm not so sure!!

Unknown said...

That "Canadian" delicacy was imported by Trevors' Pennsylvania born mother...passed down from her American momma - interesting "huh"?
We also gave our babies pickle slices as soon as they started on solid foods...they made some funny faces then but ask them about pickles now (someone you know loves pickle chips)...Jenn's kids had ketchup chips and oreo cookies for their church snack on Sunday..yum! And Vicky loves eating lemons, like we eat oranges...go figure! I tried to make faces and tell our kids they wouldn't like smoked oysters...it just made them want more! oops!
guess if we all loved the same things - life would be boring...
Now who wants a cheese and onion sandwhich?

Nate said...

Speaking of pickles, we heard from someone that fried pickles were very good, so Ang decided to make some tonight. They were actually very good.

I would certainly try a pickled egg, but they need to be presented in a more appetizing way. Get Trevor to work on that. If I had my choice, I would certainly take the smoked oysters.

Marc T. said...

Um, we will NOT be having those at dinner on Sunday! Nasty! I could go for the smoked oysters, that sounds yummy!

Amber Shellabarger said...

Must be a 'Canadian' thing.

N and J said...

Remember the pickled eggs when I was young and they were okay. My dad,of course, wasn't satisfied so he started buyng pickled pig's feet. Now that was gross! Just picture the bottle with those ugly things swimming around. For us boiled eggs and beets in a salad are quite enough.

Sarah Empey said...

We all knew Trevor is special, just not quite THIS special! We love you, Trevor!